Course Description

This study abroad course is being offered through the University of Maryland's iSchool as LBSC 729: International Opportunities in Information Studies; Libraries and Cultural Heritage Institutions of St. Petersburg, Russia.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Getting ready...

Hello everyone! It's Bridgette here, one of the grad students going on the St. Petersburg trip. We don't leave Washington, DC for a little over two weeks, but I'm already excited! Going through the itinerary, I'm getting an idea for how our days will go once we're in St. Petersburg. There's so much to see, and I know the two weeks will just fly by. There are two things I'm really looking forward to, though: giving mini presentations to the library school at the St. Petersburg State University of Culture and Arts; and going to Repino, the hometown of the painter Ilya Repin. A depiction of Ivan the Terrible cradling his son after brutally attacking him is probably his best known work, but my personal favorite is Sadko in the Underwater Kingdom (Sadko is a character from Russian folktales) .

Ivan the Terrible and His Son Ivan on November 16th, 1581 by Ilya Repin (1885)

Sadko in the Underwater Kingdom, by Ilya Repin (1876)


There's so much to plan and do on this trip, I can't really keep it all straight. Packing would probably be a good place to start, though...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bridgette,

    what a wonderful comment! And I too love the paintings of Ilya Repin. My favorite is the Snow Ball fight (I might not be translating it correctly). Unfortunately, Penaty, Repin's house and museum, just closed for renovations (literary just a couple of weeks ago), so we will not be able to see it. We will see some other things on the trip on Sunday. However there is a good collection of Repin's painting at the Russian Museum, which is just off Nevsky Prospect, and I hope many of us will be able to go there and see them.

    ReplyDelete